Saturday, January 31, 2009

Living in the Rhema Word


I was reading Prov 29:18 this morning-
Where there is no revelation, the people cast off restraint; But happy is he who keeps the law. NKJV
Sometimes you read a verse that you’re read dozens of times and for whatever reason; the Holy Spirit uses it to speak to your life right at that moment. That happened to me this morning.


As a rule, I would rather not create a blog entry that is devotional in nature unless it is something that God is speaking directly to me as I don’t want to waste your time or mine just to send something out. Today, God spoke, and so I’ve written it down for my benefit and yours.

Several thoughts came to my head as the Holy Spirit poured HIMself into me this morning. The first thought I have correlates this verse with Matt 4:4- “Man does not live by bread alone, but by every word (Greek word- rhema) that comes from the mouth of God”. Jesus quoted Deut 8:3 to ward off the attack of the enemy. Jesus stresses the need for a rhema word of God- not just the logos, but hearing from God in an intimate relationship with HIM. The Greek word rhema is defined as a spoken word, where the Greek word“logos” is defined as a written word. The “word” God wants us to live in is the spoken word, and that only comes through a deep and abiding relationship with HIM. You don’t hear a person’s voice unless you purpose to spend time with them, and the same is true of God.

Second, is the “people cast off all restraint”. Where there is no relationship with God, there is no restraining influence of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit brings life giving words (Rhema) that illuminate the written Word of God (logos). We can memorize the whole bible (satan has, and it didn't change him one iota), but unless it is tied in with a relationship with God and continued revelation of who HE is, it has no affect on the way we live. That is why the ethical standards in the Evangelical churches are so low- we traded a “head knowledge” of God (which has its roots in pride) for the intimacy with God, which is based on a loving relationship with HIM.

Third, the believers influence in the world is absolutely hindered if not completely eradicated if they are not living in that fresh word from God. We can’t speak to the hurting and dying world unless we are completely HIS and dead to the things of this world. We’ve (and I’m the worse at times) traded in an abiding, deep relationship with the Almighty for secular entertainment. Leonard Ravenhill spoke to this when he said that “entertainment is the devils substitute for joy”, because true joy only comes through that intimate relationship with God.

Jesus is our example- sure he went to parties and hung out with people, but over and over again the Gospels portray a man who no matter how tired He was or no matter how stressed He might have been in His earthly self, He continually sought His Father in times of solitude. Jesus knew that the key to a victorious life on earth was to continually seek heaven and the throne of God.
We can’t expect to move this world or advance the Kingdom of God so long as we refuse to allow God HIS rightful place in our lives. I’m going to be open and honest here and share a few things from my life that God has shown me lately that steal time from seeking him in my life. I share it because I think it might help others-
1. Turn off the news- I confess that I’m a huge news junkie, especially Fox News and their prime time talk shows like O’Reilly and Hannity. While I respect what these men are trying to do in the realm of conservative politics, endlessly focusing on what is happening in the world will depress even the cheeriest of people. What is going on in the world has already been told to us, and should come as no surprise (see Matt 24/ 2 Tim 3). If I/we spend half the time we spend taking in news in prayer, we’d see a revival that would dwarf all previous ones.
2. Watch how much time we spend in leisure- Humans, especially this one, don’t do well with time off. Humans were made to take in stimulation, and boredom is the devils playground. Make an effort to fill days off with things that further your relationship with your God and your family.
3. Music- Humans were created for worship. When we take the medium (music) that God has blessed us with to worship HIM and substitute it for songs that sing of worldly things, we shouldn’t be surprised when our thought lives are not pure and we struggle with temptations on all sides.

That’s a lot God showed me from one verse….but it comes from an abiding relationship with HIM. Although I often struggle to maintain it (more than you know), He has been drawing me harder now then ever in my life, and I praise HIM and thank HIM for continuing to woo me as the Lover of My Soul…

It is my prayer and more importantly, the desire of heaven, that everyone who reads this will experience God in even greater ways then I have. We are moments from eternity, let’s toss this world’s distractions aside and purpose to really seek God instead of just paying lip service to it.

Love and blessings,

John A. Oscar
Evangelism Pastor
Prayer House Assembly of God
pastorjohn@prayerhouseag.org
www.prayerhouseag.org
http://pastorjohnsview.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff Pastor John. Keep up that prayer life and God will keep speaking!

    ReplyDelete